Saturday, February 4, 2012

"Is that gasoline I smell?"

A movie that can make me cry, can make me laugh and make me feel so much for its main character/main actor, The Crow is near and dear to me, probably another reason why it's my 4th favourite movie. This movie can be so dark at times, but then it can put a smile on your face with it's funny one liners. The Crow was based on the graphic novel by James O'Barr, which I am currently in the middle of reading. This is definitely my favourite comic book movie, and I'm sure is in many top comic book movie lists. It stars Brandon Lee as Eric Draven, a man killed the night before his wedding day and whose wife was also raped and killed on the same night. One year later he gets a second chance, he rises from the dead to seek revenge on the ones who stole is life from him. Brandon Lee brings us his best performance by far, probably one of the best performances in any comic book related movie. Saddest thing about this movie is that Brandon Lee's life was cut short during the filming on The Crow. While filming a scene with Michael Massee, Lee was shot by Massee's character "Funboy", and was hit by a piece that had been stuck in the gun from an earlier scene. He was hit in the abdomen, rushed to the hospital and died during surgery. I remember as a kid watching this movie I love Brandon Lee's character and couldn't wait to see his next movie. When I found out he died during the making, I got pretty upset, for how young I was. One of my life-long dreams is to go to his grave site in Seattle and leave my video tape of The Crow at his tombstone. There aren't many movies in this world that make me feel so emotional while watching them. Other than Lee, there are many great performances in this film. Michael Massee, Ernie Hudson, Micheal Wincott, Anna Levine, David Patrick Kelly, Laurence Mason, Angel David, Tony Todd and the young Rochelle Davis, all had amazing parts. The Dvd I own is the Alliance Atlantis Collector's Series Edtion, which is also a two-disc edition. The Dvd is also filled with tons of praise from reviewers. "Spectacular!," says Chicago Tribune."Thrilling!," says Los Angeles Daily News. "Action-Packed!," says WBAI Radio, New York. "A Triumph!," says Playboy. "Brandon Lee is Sensational!," says Rolling Stone. "The Best Movie of its kind since The Original Batman!," says Chicago Tribune. The Crow was released in 1994 and was directed by Alex Proyas. Released by Alliance Atlantis, Miramax and Dimension Films.


Collection#:
The Crow: #387

No comments:

Post a Comment