Thursday, January 26, 2012

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kickass, and I'm all out of bubble gum."

John Carpenter is one of the greatest directors in the horror/sci-fi genre. He has given us so many classics. The biggest ones to me being: The Fog, Escape from New York, The Thing, Christine, Big Trouble in Little China, They Live and Vampires(Even though I still need to see Dark Star and In the Mouth of Madness). A movie that is in his top 3, for me, is "They Live". I'm sure everyone knows that Hulk Hogan was in movies, which were funny and alright at best. And Jessie Ventura made some movies, most memorable being Predator, of course. One wrestler that many people wouldn't guess to be an actor, but who is actually pretty good, was Rowdy Roddy Piper. He's the star of John Carpenter's They Live, named Nada. A drifter who gets a job a construction site and then lives in and around a hobo camp. When he finds a special pair of sunglasses,which show him that most of the people around him are really aliens, all hell breaks lose. The movie is very well done and is also original in a certain sense. Filled with plenty of hilarious lines, good effects(for the 80's) and an amazingly done fight scene between Piper and Keith David. This movie is perfect for any sci-fi lover or just a film lover in general. My Dvd, which I bought pretty recently, is a widescreen edition, that came out in 2003. It has the iconic picture of Piper taking off the sunglasses and one of the aliens can be seen in the lens. Unfortunately there are no reviews on the front or back, there definitely should be. Hopefully soon they come out with a They Live special edition or limited or whatever they wanna name it. Nonetheless, I was still really glad when I found this Dvd (at HMV) because I've been waiting to add it to my collection. They Live was released in 1988 and was Directed by John Carpenter. Released by Universal Pictures and Alive Films.

Collection#:
They Live: #539

(p.s figured out how to take the picture right, so it comes out straight up and down when I upload it.....lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment